A Journey to Grow a Little Food Close to Home



Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Garlic

Hello all! How was your long weekend?

I, amongst other things, planted garlic this Labor Day weekend. I've never done it before but I thought 'Why not?' I did a little poking around on the internet and found that in some cases it is perfectly acceptable to plant garlic that was purchased in the produce aisle of the supermarket (I say 'in some cases' because occasionally supermarkets and their suppliers spray garlic with a root growth inhibitor to make it look better in the store). Since I am just trying out planting garlic, I'll take the risk! I asked my wife how much garlic we usually use in a year (remember...she does the cooking) and she told me that we might use 5 or 6 heads. Since each clove of garlic planted grows 1 head, I figured that one head's worth should be enough. I bought a head at the supermarket and went to work. To find out how I did it, watch an expert here:



I ended up getting 9 good sized cloves from my head of garlic. If they all work, we will have 9 heads to cook with. As he says, if it really is this easy, we could all do it! Now I'll just have to wait 8 months to see how it turns out. Watch here...

No comments:

Post a Comment